Thursday, September 29, 2011

To Build, or to Tear: That is the question.

"The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down." Proverbs 14:1

Why is it that in times of anger I can cut my husband in two with some of the words I say to him!  With unkind words, I can make my child feel like he/she has greatly disappointed me when in reality, I have made the same mistake a million times. I would never speak to a complete stranger that way!  So why then do I speak that way to the ones I love! Instead, shouldn’t I ask God to help me find a way to share my feelings to my husband or to discipline and guide my children in a way that will effectively make my point and not tear down their spirits while doing it?! 

Titus 2:5 gives women the command to be kind. I have spoke to my husband and kids with unkind words more times than I would like to admit. When I did, I could see the discouragement, sadness and sometimes anger in their faces and attitudes.  What would happen if I always said only kind things to my husband and kids.  If I only spoke kind words to them all the time no matter the nature of the situation I am addressing? No matter how angry or sad I feel in that situation. I believe that if I asked God to help me respond out of love and then rely on His strength to follow through with that, I would start to see encouragement and happiness in them and in their attitudes toward others.  What a wonderful ripple effect!  What a privilege it would be to know that because I followed God’s command to be kind, my whole family’s attitude toward each other and toward others changed to honor God!  I pray that God would fill me with the fruit of the Spirit so I would be capable of always speaking to my husband and kids in a way that builds them up, not tears them down.  To start a trend of being kind in my household!.  Then, I can be like the wise woman that builds her house and not like the foolish woman that with her own two hands tears hers down.

No comments: