Sunday, September 25, 2011

My Heart Is Overflowing!

…For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. (Matthew 12:34)

My daughter said to me the other day while we were eating supper “ Mommy, I love God more than Hunter (her brother)”  I replied by saying “That is actually the way we are supposed to love, Ivi” and I used my water bottle to try to explain to my 6 and 10 year old one reason I believe that loving this way works so well.  It is because of this verse above.

I began by explaining that if I need just as much water as my bottle will hold in order to survive and flourish then when it is only half full that is not even enough for me so I surely don’t have any to share with anyone else!  Even if it is filled to the rim, that is still only just enough for me.  I still don’t have any to share.  Then I told them, “If it is full and then it is continued to be filled, what is going to happen?  It will overflow, right?”  They both agreed.  “Then that is when we can share it with others right?”  They both shook their heads in agreement again.  I explained to them that when we seek God and allow Him empty our hearts of sinful things and let Him fill it to the point of overflowing with His good things, love, joy, peace, patience, goodness kindness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control, then and only then will we be overflowing with His love and really be able to love those around us the way that He wants us to love them.

God has taught me that when I am tempted to speak negative things to or about people it is because there is a heart issue.  In those moments, I need to check my heart, go before God, confess my sin, ask for forgiveness, repent and let Him fill me with His goodness!  God is so good!

No comments: